Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I AM FROM...

Genesis has been creating/writing an autobiography all year long for her Honors Language Arts class.  One of the things she was supposed to include is an "I Am From" poem about herself.  This is that poem...


I am from a serious childhood.  I was embarassed easily.
I am from playing barber shop with my sister, her with finger-sissors, me with real scissors.
I am from a real barber shop, my sister's hair needed fixing.
I am from being ashamed - I cut my sister's hair!
I am from my parents' laughter, learning to laugh at bad situations.
I am from Washington, a town called Enumclaw.
I am from "the little green booger house", my very first home.
I am from Texas, near a lake in Gun Barrel City.
I am from swimming in that lake, until a brain-eating bacteria killed a boy (we never went there again).
I am from a crispy fall morning, the smell of smoke in the air.
I am from Washington, a cool, green home.
I am from Texas, a warm, dry home.
I am from basketball, Saturdays and Wednesdays.
I am from a proud father, forcing me to play.
I am from a wonderful day, ice cream after a game.
I am from writing, creating stories from simple words.
I am from singing, raising my voice to the sky.
I am from dancing, no matter how ridiculous I look
I am from reading, going on adventures while relaxing on the couch.
I am from good friends, who act silly with me,
I am from dorky parents, who tease me all the time.
I am from a sweet little brother, who cares about me.
I am from little sisters, who I can share secrets with.
I am from kind grandparents, who spoil me rotten.
I am from friends and family, who matter.
I am from yummy, homemade dinners, like meatloaf and mashed potatoes.
I am from crepes, that only my dad can make.
I am from a family  of pigs - we eat a ton.
I am from a family of sugar-lovers, but we're trying to be healthier.
I am from good food.
I am from big yards and gravel roads, no kids my age around.
I am from grandma's beautiful, healthy garden, gorgeous in the spring.
I am from my mother's garden, drying , dead, withered.
I am from a trampoline, jumping, doing tricks.
I am from big yards, with trees and places to run.
I am from about fifty cousins, aging from early twenties to a few months.
I am from an alpacha, born on the day of one of our family reunions.
I am from a lightning storm in Oregon, I was done swinning for a while.
I am from pictures with my cousin, my sister ruined it.
I am from decorating the frame with little foam shapes.
I am from my mom's family, a very large and loving family.
I am from my dad's family, smaller, but no less loving.
I am from memories, experiences and people I love.


We are so proud of her!!  Maybe I'm biased, but I think it's really good!

Did you know that Simeon's new favorite thing to say is, "that's lame"?
Did you know that I was in charge of the decorations for our Stake Relief Society Women's Conference and it was one of the most stressful things I have ever done?
Did you know that Matt is a ward missionary and he loves it?
Did you know that Brooklyn wants to learn how to play tennis?
Did you know that Genesis is on the volleyball team for school and she is having fun?
Did you know that Glory is feeling lonely because Brooklyn and Genesis are getting too old to play the things they used to and Simeon is too young?

0 comments: