We changed schools this year. The girls go to the school of choice in orting. It is a public school, just a different option. They focus on getting families involved and letting the kids kinda learn at their own pace, also they believe in applying the curriculum to real life. The kids go on a field trip about once a month and they have many people come in to share, like the zoo. I have to commit to 40 hours of volunteer work per year--no problem. I can get that with the normal classroom help. Anyway, I felt good about having the girls go there but didn't really know what to expect. We thought we would try it out and see if we wanted to continue. Well, so far so good. The teachers are all great! I don't know if any of you have felt like this, but sometimes I feel like an intruder when I enter the classroom. But the partnership school is so much different. It is like a big family.
So here is my experience----Yesterday was Glory's first day and they had a "Boo-Hoo Breakfast" in the morning. Just a little get together to meet the other parents of the kindergarteners. So I was driving the kids to school, but when we got to the car, it was dead. Bummer. I called someone to help us. She took us to the school and I went in to the office to get a tardy slip and there was no secretary, so I asked one of the other parents. She told me I had to walk across the courtyard to the other office. We headed that way and we met Genesis' teacher. She seemed excited to see us and I told her what happened. She said she would take the kids to their classes. I asked her about the tardy slip and she said, "Let's just call it good". So then I said something about Glory, and she got all excited and said that Glory's teacher was wondering where she was. Then she got down on Glory's level and started talking to her and saying that she had 2 good friends in Glory's class and she was going to have so much fun. Then she took the other girls where they needed to be. As we were turning around to go to Glory's class another lady came up to me, gave me a paper and introduced herself. She said she was our mentor family and if we had any questions or problems to give her a call or email. She has a daughter in Glory's class and one in Gen's class. So then we finally made it to Glory's class and the teacher was so excited to see her and helped her get settled. I asked again about the tardy slip and she told me that the secretary doesn't come in until 10, so I could just leave her a note on the desk. I made my way to the office again(where they were having the breakfast) and started to write the note, when two other moms came up to me and started talking and asking about my horrible morning(somehow they knew). Then one of them asked if I wanted her to get me something to eat. I said yes. She left and another lady came up to me and introduced herself and invited me to a family fun night at the YMCA to get to know the other moms and it is free. I like free!! Then the lady with the food came back and was taking my order because there were too many choices. I finally finished my 2 line note to the secretary when she brought back my plate filled with more than asked for. I said good-bye and went to go buy my car a battery. So my 2 minute drop-off had taken like 15 minutes. It was so nice to feel so at home. Everyone was very helpful and it was very laid-back. I loved it. Also they don't have a PTA, it is the PTTE. Parents and Teachers Together in Education. It almost seems run by the parents. Like a big public homeschool (if that makes any sense). The girls are enjoying it and so far I love it. We will see what the rest of the year is like. Also, Genesis' teacher said she is going to try to have parent meetings every other month so the parents know what is going on in the classroom and what the currriculum is and so she can answer any questions. I thought that was pretty cool. I always feel so disconnected from that part of the girls lives, even when I volunteer. So I am excited for the coming year. And a side note--my life has calmed down quite a bit. It wasn't just a dream!! :0)
Glow Stick Baby
3 days ago





2 comments:
I didn't know your girls were switching schools. I'm glad it's working for them (and that your life has calmed down...) It sounds like a great school. I didn't know it was even an option. Good luck to your girls.
Sounds like a great school. It's hard to believe you have 3 kids in school now, it seems like it was just yesterday when you were living in our backyard, and you only had Genesis.
Post a Comment