Wednesday, October 22, 2008

parent-teacher conferences


Yesterday we had conferences. I went to Genesis' first. We went over her test scores and her teacher said that she is above where she is supposed to be in Reading and Writing, (no big surprise there) and in Math she is just about where she is supposed to be. That surprised me, because Genesis is always complaining that all the other kids in the class are so much better at math than she is and they always know the answer. So I told her she can't say that anymore. I know the truth. :0) Genesis is opening up more now and is asking questions when she needs clarification. It always takes her awhile to warm up to new surroundings. It should be easier on her next year because she will have the same teacher, classroom and some of the same students.

Brooklyn's scores were good also. She was just about where she needed to be in Reading, and Math she scored above where she was supposed to be. They broke down the test and showed which areas were her strength and she scored the best in algabraic sense. She scored in the 3rd-5th grade range in that area. That was surprising. And a few weeks ago, Brooklyn was upset because she didn't have any talents. The teachers ranted and raved about how sweet Brooklyn is. Of course every teacher has loved her, because she loves them so much. That's just how she is. She is the "cookie" after all. Her teacher did say that she has trouble concentrating and staying focused. I know that about her, but her teacher said I should get her in to see her doctor, because she exhibits some signs of ADD. So I need to get her checked out for that.

Glory on the other hand, had a different kind of conference. Her teacher said she was really struggling with her letters and numbers. She's just not getting it. I was worried about that before she started school. She loves school and tries really hard, yet she just struggles. Her teacher said if she doesn't improve enough by the end of the school year, she may have to go to kindergarten again. But that is far away still, so who knows. She has improved since the summer, and we are working at home. I wonder if she just has to be ready to do it. She was a different child than the other girls. I tried to teach her letters and numbers, but she would have nothing to do with it. She even hated it when I sang the ABC song. She didn't get interested in books until she was about 3. The other kids loved me to read to them even at really young ages. And even then, she wanted me to "read the pictures". She would get so upset if I was reading the words. So I tried to trick her and tell her I was reading the pictures(the other girls wanted me to read the words), but then she would look up at my eyes to see if I was looking at the pictures or the words. If I was looking at the words she would get so upset and cover the words so I couldn't read them. Then the other girls would get upset because I couldn't read the story with Glory's hand covering the words. So who knows what is going on with her, she can write her name, but she doesn't really know the names of the letters she is writing. Does anyone know if these are signs of learning disabilities or something else? Any suggestions?

Simeon loves books and he is talkin up a storm. I was writing in his baby book (trying to catch up. Poor kid has a sad, sad baby book. not much in there.). I was writing his special words for things and I thought I would share. He says "bee" for his blankie, "go-go" for yogurt, "cack-cack" for cracker, "ruff-ruff" for dog, and the latest one is "ooh-aah" for monkey. Everything else is similar to the real word. He is becoming quite the bully though. It must be due to his being so cute and being able to manipulate everyone around him. Our fault. OOPS!! What can you do, though?

2 comments:

April Bishop said...

Perhaps Simeon is just being that creature called "boy"? Not that I'd have any actual experience there... Luv ya.

Christy said...

Hey Deb, I wouldn't be too concerned about Glory just yet. Kids learn at different rates and different ways. Allie had such a hard time with her ABC's before she started Kindergarten. She too, had no interest in learning them at all. She just barely learned how to SING her ABC's before she entered Kindergarten. I was so worried! Once she got there, she really got into the learning. She turned out fine, she is now reading 2 grade levels above the one she is in.
I also know a boy who sounds a lot like Glory, they were worried, they did some test and the only thing they decided is that he is a visual learner and needs to be tought a certain way.
I highly recommend the Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD. It is super! Dallin learned all of his ABC's and their sounds from it, they make it fun and they don't even realize they are learning. I know you can check it out from the library. It is one that is worth owning though, and costs only about $10.
I am sure you will know what is best for Glory and what she needs.