Monday, February 23, 2009

independence!! (the 5 year old variety)

It has actually been nice outside so the girls got to ride their bikes on the back road. They had so much fun. We took the training wheels off of Glory's bike at the end of last summer(she wasn't very happy with us) and we never really got a chance to spend the day helping her to learn. So everytime there is even the slightest bit of niceness outside she goes out "riding"her bike(just kinda sitting on it and walking it around). I felt a little guilty about not being able to help her learn for one reason or the other and I promised myself I would make the time as soon as my toe healed (I broke my little toe). She seemed to be having fun by herself nonetheless. So I was surprised when I walked outside to check on the kids one sunny day and she said, "Mom! I can ride my bike!" So she showed me and sure enough, she could ride her bike. She could even start by herself. She is amazing! That's our Glory though. If she wants something bad enough, she will find a way and work until she gets it. I admire her for that. So every day since she has gone out to ride her bike. We got home today from school and she rode for awhile until I called her in for lunch and then went right back to it after she had eaten. She was out there for about 2 hours. It had started raining and so I checked on her and she was soaked to the bone but still riding happily. She eventually came in and sat on the heater to get warm. She was so proud of herself and she told Matt that now he didn't have to pull her around in the trailer with Simeon "when we go on those things where we have to wear our helmets" (bike rides). I am so glad she didn't have to wait for us to get our act together to help her!

7 comments:

April Bishop said...

Go Glory!!!

Erin said...

Wow, I don't know that I've ever known anyone to teach themselves how to ride a bike and now I'm related to one :) I wish the weather was nice enough to be outside here. I think I'm ready for spring. Riding bikes sounds fun.

Anonymous said...

Is she 5? Wow I think she was just new the last I saw you. Can that be right?

WASHINGTON PUCKETTS: said...

Yes she was new the last time we saw you, Candi. Time goes fast! And, Erin, Matt says he taught himself how to ride, so you've always been related to one! :0)

Unknown said...

that's awesome. Harrison still hasn't learned to ride his bike and he's 6 and a half! I wish I could be there to help him learn. all he does is school, homework and sleep! He doesn't even get to be a kid!

Erin said...

I wish there was a way to when plane tickets to the cup show. then maybe we could go too :) Love you guys!

Erin said...

Thank you so much for fasting for Asher. Tell the girls that I know that it's harder for them and that it means so much to me that they fasted. It made me cry. I love you guys and am grateful for you.